Ever wondered how T.V Serial actresses go to bed with full make-up on and wake up with all of it still intact, including the powder Sindoor which gets a little messy when we wake up in the morning. Yes. That’s when a Liquid Sindoor comes to your rescue.
What is a Liquid Sindoor?
A Liquid Sindoor is a type of a liquid cosmetic which is made up of lead, specifically red lead. It is applied by Hindu women who have just got married, in the form of a small dot or a line, in the middle of their forehead, just below the hair parting. It is more popular amongst the new age women who look for convenience.
Why Liquid Sindoor and not a Powder Sindoor?
A liquid sindoor seems more convenient as compared to a powder sindoor as it is smudge-proof and lasts longer. It can be seen in packaging like that of a lipstick, containing an applicator with a sponge
How to apply a Liquid Sindoor?
There is no perfect way to apply a Liquid Sindoor. Take the applicator and put a dot just below the parting of your hair on the forehead or drag the dot a little in the form of a small line below your hair parting, in case you want it to be a lot more noticeable.
5 Best Liquid Sindoor available in India
1. Lake Jewel Sindoor
Manufactured by Lakme, this Jewel Sindoor comes in two shades: Maroon and Red. It is one of the top selling products by Lakme as it contains a sponge applicator and is very easy-to-use.
- Naturally formulated without the use of any chemicals
- Ensures scalp protection.
- Long-lasting formula
- Non-dripping and non-messy
- Most expensive as compared to the other products
- Might dry up in the bottle due to quick drying formula
2. Lotus Make-Up Divine Dew Herbal Sindoor
This product is manufactured by Lotus and contains natural ingredients that do not cause any harm to your skin. It comes in two shades: Rosy Blush and Love Drop. It gives an elegant look and is perfectly safe for long-term use.
- Made from natural botanical extracts
- Free of mercury and lead
- Intense colour pay off
- Long lasting colour
- Non-drip formula
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Not water-resistant
- Slightly sticky
3. Shahnaz Husain Herbal Sindoor
The speciality of this brand is that, it clinically tests all the products so that there are no side effects. This sindoor is one of the oldest sindoor in the Indian market and comes with a sponge applicator. It is available in two shades: Maroon and Red.
- Based on age-old traditions
- Designed for modern needs
- Contains herbal extracts and oils
- Safe to use
- Good fragrance
- Very easy-to-use
- Contains no toxins
- More expensive than the other products
4. Keya Seth Aroma Sindoor
Another product in the market is the Aroma Sindoor, manufactured by Keya Seth. It contains natural ingredients like colours made from different flowers, and minerals that keep the herbal property of the product intact. It comes in four shades: Maroon. Red, Magenta and Vermilion. It also contains gold dust which provides a shimmering effect to the sindoor.
- Uses 100% natural ingredients like 몭oral colours and herbs
- Completely free from mercury, lead and harmful chemicals
- Safe to use
- Simple to use
- Not water-resistant
- Slightly expensive for such a small quantity
5. Coloressence Aqua Sindoor
This product is manufactured by Coloressence, the cosmetics brand under Nature’s Essence. The product is made up of the best quality pigments and natural herbal ingredients. It comes in two shades: Maroon and Red and can be applied with the help of a sponge applicator.
- Uses top-quality pigments imported from Germany
- Offers the goodness of antiseptic turmeric and cooling sandalwood
- Dries up fast
- Does not smudge
- Gives a perfect matte finish
- Easy to use applicator wand
- Transparent and sturdy packaging
- Cheapest as compared to the other products
- Not waterproof
Beliefs and traditions of Liquid Sindoor
Sindoor is also popular by another name, Kum-kum. It is a powdery substance, made from Vermilion, applied as a dot or a line under the hair parting of a married women. It symbolises marriage, therefore it cannot be applied by an unmarried women or a widow. The husband of a newly-wedded bride is the first one to put the Sindoor, after that it becomes a daily ritual that is to be followed by the woman herself.
Many people believe that Goddess Parvati protects the husbands of women who follow this ritual of applying sindoor and protects them from evil spirits too. Another popular belief is that, the amount of sindoor that falls on a bride’s when her husband puts it on the day of the marriage, determines how much the husband will love his wife.
Scientiffic reason behind the application of Sindoor
There are some scientific reasons behind the application of sindoor too. It is made up of turmeric, lime and mercury, which control the blood pressure as well as activate the sexual drive in women. Therefore, the widows are strictly prohibited from applying Sindoor.
Homemade Liquid Sindoor Ingredients
- Red food colour: Half tea spoon.
- Aloe Vera Gel: one tea spoon.
- Glycerine: one tea spoon.
- Corn-flower: half teaspoon.
- Vitamin – E capsule: one capsule.
- Water: as per requirements.
Benefits of wearing Liquid sindoor
- Red colour of Vermilion is a symbol of female energy which also stimulates good health.
- As Vermilion is made up of turmeric and lime, it helps in easing stress and strain and also keeps your brain alert and active.
- It also triggers a sexual drive among females.
FAQs about Liquid Sindoor
Q1. Is sindoor harmful for health if ingested?
Ans: If Sindoor is consumed or inhaled, it can cause food poisoning and could impact the brain too.